- These events include a number of workshops which help teachers and advisers to learn more about the Russell Group universities. Attendees will learn more about the experience that their students will have at these universities and also the applications and admissions process
- The events enable teachers and advisers to support more of their students to progress to some of the UK's most competitive universities
Russell Group conferences are open to any teacher or adviser who works in a school or college anywhere in the UK. Attendance is always free. At these events you will have the opportunity to:
- Hear first-hand from Russell Group university staff from across the UK
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in higher education which will affect your students
- Direct any questions you might have to our university staff
- Network with other professionals
- Learn more about the outreach opportunities which are on offer from our university partners
The dates and locations for the next two Russell Group conferences have now been confirmed:
> Monday 4th May 2020, Wills Memorial Building, Queens Road, University of Bristol
> Wednesday 6th May 2020, Ron Cooke Hub, Campus East, University of York
A link to register for either of these events can be found further down the page.
The following workshops will be delivered at both events:
> An overview of contextual offers: This workshop will aim to explain exactly what POLAR, ACORN and IMD datasets are, how to check them for yourself and keep up to date with contextual offer policies at Russell Group Institutions
> Student wellbeing support during transition and beyond: With the increasing awareness of the importance of mental health and wellbeing support, we aim to summarise the support available at university during the transition from school/college and throughout the student lifecycle. The focus of the workshop will be on success and progression support available at universities using a case study approach
> Supporting students with their UCAS application and interview: A workshop for those new to their role. This session will summarise our top tips to supporting students in personal statement writing, writing the teacher references and interview preparation tips for students
> Understanding admissions at University: Led by an admissions professional, this session will give an overview of common practices in Russell Group admissions to enable delegates to better understand the full admissions process from application to offer making from a university perspective
> Preparing for results day – Clarifying the clearing and adjustment process for teachers as well as providing advice on how to support your students
> General alternative routes in HE: An overview of the evolving landscape of degree apprenticeships and foundation year programmes
> Student finance and budgeting: This session will include an overview of Student Finance England for Home/EU students for 2020/21 entry. This session will also include advice to give to students on how to make their money go further and additional sources of funding such as bursaries and scholarships
Who should attend?
Our events are designed for:
- Teachers who work in state schools or colleges (including classroom teachers, form tutors, headteachers and head of year or sixth form)
- Careers advisers
- Careers leaders
We have added some FAQs about the events below.
Yes, lunch and refreshments will be provided for attendees. If you have any dietary requirements, please let us know when you complete the registration form.
Registration for the events is being coordinated by Advancing Access. If you can no longer make it, please contact Advancing Access to let them know.
The two events are identical in content. We wouldn't recommend that you attend both of them.
Unfortunately we aren't able to cover these costs, sorry.
The event programme has not been finalised just yet. However, as soon as the programme is available we will upload a PDF copy to this webpage so please check back soon.
Yes - after the event we will upload the presentations to the event resources page of this website. This means you can access all of the presentations from the event, including those you weren't able to attend.